Does a missing tooth keep you from smiling and laughing easily around friends and family? Constantly worrying about a visible gap in your teeth can prevent you from living life to the fullest. What’s more, missing even a single tooth can lead to negative health impacts, such as shifting teeth and reduced jawbone density. Fortunately, single tooth implants in Sunnyvale can restore both your smile and your confidence and preserve your oral health!
Single Tooth Replacement Options
For patients missing a single tooth, there are two primary replacement options: a fixed bridge or a single tooth implant. While both are viable and effective tooth replacement solutions, there are significant differences between bridges and implants. Let’s take a look:
- Fixed bridge – A fixed bridge typically consists of an artificial tooth connected to two crowns on either side. The dental crowns are cemented onto the teeth adjacent to the gap from a missing tooth, securely holding the artificial tooth in place and thus “bridging the gap” in a patient’s smile. Fixed bridges prevent teeth from shifting, restore dental function and look natural.
- Single tooth implant – Dental implants in Sunnyvale go a step further than a fixed bridge by replacing an entire tooth structure from the roots up. Successful implantation begins when the implant – a small titanium post – is surgically placed below the gum line. This post will fuse over time with the surrounding jawbone to provide maximum support for an artificial tooth. A few short months after the implant surgery, once the healing process is complete, a crown is attached top of the implant, successfully restoring a patient’s smile to its former glory.
The Benefits of Single Tooth Implants
Compared to fixed bridges and other traditional dental restorations, single tooth implants offer a range of benefits, such as:
- Full Replacement: Dental implants are the only treatment that restores both the roots and visible portion of a tooth. Implants look, feel and function as close to natural teeth as possible!
- Preserve Natural Teeth: Fixed bridges require the enamel of adjacent healthy teeth to be shaved down so the crowns can fit on top of them and remain securely in place. Single tooth implants, on the other hand, allow your healthy teeth to remain untouched.
- Easy Oral Care: Patients can easily keep their dental implant in good shape by brushing twice a day, flossing daily and visiting a dentist every six months for a routine checkup.
- Long-lasting Smile: Invest in a smile that will last for many years to come. With proper care, the expected lifetime of a dental implant is decades – or even a lifetime!
Contact Us Today
If you are ready to quit worrying all the time and reclaim your former confident self, do not hesitate to contact our team at the office of Dr. Michael Piccione. You can get started on the path to a beautifully restored smile today by requesting an initial consultation at our conveniently-located Sunnyvale office.